racism kontrol (OT)

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Fri Oct 5 02:44:23 EDT 2007

 "Wildemar Wildenburger" <lasses_w...so.net> wrote:

> Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> >  "Wildemar Wildenburger" <lasse....eso.net> wrote:
> >
> >> (By the way: Accusing a German of racism is almost too easy an insult.
> >> Not that I had taken any, just saying.)
> >
> > I always thought that it would be insulting to a German if you accused
> > him or her of not being a racist...
> >
> Very funny, Herr Dutsh-Mann.

Afrikaans, not Dutch.

>>Dude, hailing from South Africa with a
> Dutch name, I'd be careful with the word racist. That of course being
> based on the fact that in South Africa the term never had relevance and
> thus meaning. Hence I understand that you probably have as much
> understanding of the term "racism", as we have of "a welcome Jew". Or,
> for that matter, a "a Dutchman that is pleasant to listen to". Burn! ;)

I really must apologise for my accent - but then I was once mistaken
for a Scot by an Englishwoman in Hong Kong. But you know, it is
like being ugly - its not so bad for the perpetrator, it really bothers
other people more.

Is there an equivalent of Godwin's law with "Hitler" being replaced
by "Apartheid" ? - there should be, in my opinion.  In that respect
Germany and South Africa are similar  - They both have murky
pasts.

> Sidenote: Its funny that everybody calls the Dutch "Dutch" (when
> speaking English), which pretty much is the word "deutsch", which, guess
> what, means "German" (cf. Pennsylvania Dutch). That has always baffled
> me --- do Dutch people refer to themselves as "Dutch" when speaking
> dutch? The term for "Dutch" is "Nederlands" or "Hollands", isn't it?

Yes to both  - with the "Ne" pronounced similar to English "neigh'...

One of these days I will try to learn to speak the language of my ancestors.

- Hendrik