why did MIT drop scheme for python in intro to computing?

gnuist006 at hotmail.com gnuist006 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 23:28:53 EDT 2007

On Oct 8, 1:23 pm, b... at cs.berkeley.edu (Brian Harvey) wrote:
> "Kjetil S. Matheussen" <k.s.matheus... at notam02.no> writes:
>
> >I don't think your speculations makes very much sence.
>
> Amen.
>
> And, in any case, there's no need to speculate.  MIT has published, on their
> web site, pages and pages of rationale for the new curriculum.
>
> The most important point, imho, is that the programming language was the
> /least/ important aspect of the decision.  The most important aspect was
> the move to an application-based (rather than topic-based) organization
> of the curriculum.  The details flow out of that big shift of focus.

Where is the logic ?

python = application based ?
scheme = topic based ?

Does python have continuations ?

Is python progress or regress to the fortran style of natural
language ?

Dont they both have a great IDE in eclipse with respective plugins?

Does scheme have a gui library?

I really dont follow the logic.