problem opening html file with webbrowser.open

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 07:09:55 EDT 2007

On 29 Okt, 11:44, "krishnakant Mane" <researchb... at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all,
> as I posted in my previous thread, I am generating html reports for my
> client software.
> I am yet to find a satisfactory module which can help me actually
> create headings, bold and italics etc without merging html with data
> variables.
> any ways I am right now doing the hamd coding myself.  may be I have
> overlooked some module.
> right now I am in the process of trying templayer.

This somewhat neglected Wiki page may provide some guidance:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/Templating

Dynamically styling data can be somewhat awkward, and I'd probably
have some kind of last-minute transformation on my data to add
presentation-related attributes and then feed it to a generic
templating system.

> but my main issue is that when I use the
> webbrowser.open("file:///home/myname/report.html"), webbroser opens
> but the page does not come up.
> there is certainly some thing wrong in what I am giving to the open function.
> can some one correct me?

Which system and Web browser are you using? Perhaps you'd be
interested in the desktop module instead:

http://www.python.org/pypi/desktop

Paul