enumerate overflow

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 3 10:17:03 EDT 2007

crwe at post.cz wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> in python2.4, i read lines from a file with
>
> for lineNum, line in enumerate(f): ...
>
> However, lineNum soon overflows and starts counting backwards. How do
> i force enumerate to return long integer?

Just how "soon" exactly do you read sys.maxint lines from a file? I
should have thought that it would take a significant amount of time to
read 2,147,483,647 lines ...

But it is true that Python 2.5 uses an enumobject representation that
limits the index to a (C) long:

typedef struct {
         PyObject_HEAD
         long      en_index;    /* current index of enumeration */
         PyObject* en_sit;      /* secondary iterator of enumeration */
         PyObject* en_result;   /* result tuple  */
} enumobject;

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline