Finding Peoples' Names in Files

Dan Stromberg dstromberglists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:02:37 EDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:22:50 -0400, brad wrote:

> Crazy question, but has anyone attempted this or seen Python code that
> does? For example, if a text file contained 'Guido' and or 'Robert' and
> or 'Susan', then we should return True, otherwise return False.

It'll be hard to handle the Dweezil's and Moon Unit's of the world (I
believe these are Frank Zappa's kids?), but you could compile a list of
reasonably common names by gaining access to a usenet news spool, and
pulling the names from the headers.

But then this is starting to sound dangerously like a spam campaign - in
which case, "Please don't!".