I'm starting to think like a Pythonista

brad byte8bits at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 15:51:54 EDT 2007

I was looking at a way to implement Ruby's upto method in python. I came
up with the code below... three years ago, I would never have thought of
list comprehension, today it seems second nature. This may be totally
un-Pythonic, but I thought it was kind of clever. Man, for some reason,
I feel like being rude and lofty acting :)

low_odds = [1,3,5,7,9]
# make a list containing 10 - 98 evens only
big_evens =  big_evens = [x for x in list(xrange(99)) if x % 2 == 0 and
x >8]

low_evens = [2,4,6,8]
# make a list containing 11 - 99 odds only
big_odds = [x for x in list(xrange(100)) if x % 2 != 0 and x >9]

y = 8

if y in low_evens:
    ok_numbers = low_odds + big_evens + [x for x in low_evens if x <= y]