how to install numpy and scipy on debian?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:00:41 EDT 2007

wang frank wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to help to install these two packages on debian. I want to know
> what packages do I need to? I have installed fftw3,fftww2, sfftw2,
> atlas. Did I miss anything? In what way I can install an optimized numpy
> and scipy, since my project is very big and speed is important.

Be sure to install the -dev packages for each of the above as well as
python-dev. You will probably also want to install the CPU-specific versions of
ATLAS, too (like atlas3-sse2). If you *really* need speed, I recommend building
a more recent release of ATLAS yourself especially if you have a CPU released in
the last couple of years. The 3.7 series has seen a lot of improvements over the
3.6 released in Debian.

If you can live with the packaged versions of ATLAS and FFTW, then you might
also be able to live with the packaged python-numpy and python-scipy. They are
somewhat older than the current release, but that shouldn't be too bad.

If you want to build numpy and scipy yourself and you need more specific help,
please join us on scipy-user with your questions.

  http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."