Distributed RVS, Darcs, tech love

Arne Vajhøj arne at vajhoej.dk
Sun Oct 21 10:50:02 EDT 2007

llothar wrote:
>> I'm, not sure that I'm getting your point, but are you trying to argue that
>> _not_ knowing mathemathics makes you a better programmer?
>
> No but it doesn't help you very much either. They are just different
> skills.

Many things within programming have a foundation in mathematics
and mathematical logic.

>> Or maybe that learning math is useless to a programmer?
>
> No and at least the mathematical idea of building a universe on a
> basic set
> of axioms is pretty exciting for a programmer. But it's the idea not
> the real
> wisdom (I never had to use any serious maths in my 25 years of
> programming)
> that you need as a programmer

Depends obvious a bot on what you consider serious math.

Expression evaluation, floating point characteristics, relational
database theory, simulation, optimum location, encryption etc.
are all based on mathematics of different levels.

>> This must be the most ignorant post I've seen
>> this week. The *best* programmers I've seen actually had mathematic education.
>
> Depends. I would call Knuth as one of the worst programmers. Look at
> his total
> failures on literature programming. Software Engineering is something
> very
> different.

I think you will find it very difficult to write a piece of code
that are not heavily influenced by Knuth.

Arne