vote for Python - PLEASE

Amit Khemka khemkaamit at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 07:04:43 EDT 2007

On 10/19/07, mensanator at aol.com <mensanator at aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 6:12 pm, Monty Taylor <mo... at inaugust.com> wrote:
> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > MySQL has put up a poll onhttp://dev.mysql.comasking what your primary
> > programming language is.
>
> But it doesn't ask that, it asks what your
> primary programming language is FOR DEVELOPING
> MYSQL APPLICATIONS.
>
> In my case, there is no such language (even though
> I primarily use Python) BECAUSE I DON'T USE MYSQL.
>

> > Even if you don't use MySQL - please go stick
> > in a vote for Python. I'm constantly telling folks that Python needs
> > more love, but PHP and Java are kicking our butts...
> >
> > (I know the world would be a better place if the poll were honest,
>
> There is dishonestly and there's outright lying
>
> > but
> > I'd rather that people got the message that they should do more python
> > development work!)
>
> Maybe the Python community doesn't need your help.

I do use mysql with python bindings, but it was a pleasant surprise to
see python was ahead of other languages. Though i too doubt the
meaning and genuineness of such internet polls. But may be there are
similar people in every community who would try to spread the word and
get more votes for 'their' language, hence actually helping to
normalize the results !

 However even if the poll results do not accurately reflect the
intended purpose, they may be, just may be, give an idea of size of
community and just how much that 'one' lie they will live with to see
'their' language ahead ;-) !

cheers,
Amit Khemka