A question about subprocess

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 05:33:18 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 4:55 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <4704a187$1$18927$4c368... at roadrunner.com>, Carl Banks wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:46:20 +0000, JD wrote:
>
> >> I want send my jobs over a whole bunch of machines (using ssh). The jobs
> >> will need to be run in the following pattern:
>
> >> (Machine A)   (Machine B)  (Machine C)
>
> >> Job A1             Job B1            Job C1
>
> >>  Job A2           Job B2            etc
>
> >>  Job A3          etc
>
> >>  etc
>
> >> Jobs runing on machine A, B, C should be in parallel, however, for each
> >> machine, jobs should run one after another.
>
> >> How can I do it with the subprocess?
>
> > It's not too hard if the remote jobs exit gracefully, so that ssh knows
> > when the remote job is done.
>
> It's hard to see how an _ungraceful_ exit could stop SSH from knowing when
> the remote job is done.

Clean exit might have been a better word.  Various things can cause
ssh to exit before the job is done; other things can make the process
hang around after the job is finished.  The OP needs to make sure the
job, and ssh, exit reliably enough for the given use before depending
on it.  Otherwise, resorting to things like lockfiles and timeouts may
be necessary to keep things sequential.

Carl Banks