Can you please give me some advice?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue Oct 2 04:41:29 EDT 2007

Thorsten Kampe a écrit :
> * Bruno Desthuilliers (Sat, 29 Sep 2007 19:17:43 +0200)
>
>>cmpython at gmail.com a écrit :
>>(snip)
>>
>>>I know nothing of Ruby, but just the fact that in Ruby the Hello World
>>>program is
>>>
>>>puts 'Hello, World!'
>>>
>>>whereas the Python Hello World program is
>>>
>>>print 'Hello, World!'
>>>
>>>suggests to me that Python is more intuitive because the word "print"
>>>has a meaning in English that makes sense given what you want to do,
>>>but "puts" just doesn't.
>>
>>Hem.... Sorry, but it reminds me of the most clueless comments on Python
>>I've seen on c.l.ruby. I really don't think Python is more or less
>>"intuitive" than Ruby, and making a judgement on such a pointless detail
>>is not even worth the bandswith IMHO. FWIW, 'puts' means 'put string'
>>(implied : on stdout), which is certainly much more semantically correct
>>than what 'print' implies.
>

> You missed the point.

Your opinion.

> "puts" for printing something to stdout

<MHO>
It's not "printing". To me, "printing" implies a printer and a piece of
paper (or other appropriate support). It's sending bytes to some kind of
cs abstraction known as a "stream".
</MHO>

But anyway... This is certainly enough to prove that "intuitive" is a
*very* subjective qualifier.