compiler module bug?

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Sun Oct 21 12:36:46 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with the compiler module.  Is this a bug,
or am I doing something wrong?

so I have the following code:

from compiler import parse, parseFile

filename='blah.py'

if False:  # turn this to false, to get it to work
     ast = parse(open(filename).read())   # this line gives a syntax
error
else:
     ast = parseFile(filename)  # this line works

print ast

the documentation, here http://docs.python.org/lib/module-
compiler.html  says that the two lines with parse and parseFile are
equivalent.

the file I am trying to parse is simply:

def main():

     a=10

     # comment at the end of the file

it seems like a comment at the end breaks the parse command, but not
parseFile.  Is this reproducible by others?

am I doing something wrong?

		thanks,

			Brian Blais

--