simple question on dictionary usage

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Oct 29 16:02:46 EDT 2007

Martin v. Löwis a écrit :
>>>egt = {}
>>>for key in record:
>>>   if key.startswith('E'):
>>>       egt[key] = record[key]
>>
>>I actually had come up with something like this, but thought it wasn't
>>quite as pythonish as it should be.  It is certainly much more readable
>>to a neophyte to python.
>

> My recommendation: forget about the comprehension-based ones. It *is*
> Pythonic to have the code readable to a neophyte; there is no price to
> win for shortness or cuteness.

While I wholefully agree that readability is not something to
undervalue, I would not bash out list-comps (or generator-expressions,
as is the case below) based solutions for such a simple use-case.
Readability is not dumbness neither, and even if list-comps/generator
expression may be something new for most Python newbies, they *are* by
now the canonical, idiomatic Python way in this situation.

>>>egt = dict((k, v) for k, v in record.iteritems() if k.startswith('E'))
>>
>>This is what I was looking for.  I thought I had seen something simular
>>to this in one of the tutorials I had read, but couldn't seem to find it.
>

> And you consider this readable? I find it way too complex.

As far as I'm concerned, I do find this solution much more readable than
it's more imperative counterpart.