Fwd: NUCULAR fielded text searchable indexing

aaron.watters at gmail.com aaron.watters at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:19:05 EDT 2007

On Oct 11, 3:30 am, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> "Delaney, Timothy (Tim)" <tdela... at avaya.com> writes:
> As for [ http://nucular.sourceforge.net ]
> itself, I've only had a chance to glance at the
> site...

Thanks for taking a look.  I hope you don't mind if I disagree
with a number of your comments below.

> ...but it looks a little more akin to Solr than to Lucene.  Solr is
> a Java application that wraps Lucene to present a more convenient
> interface

I'm not sure but I think nucular has aspects of both since
it implements both the search engine itself and also provides
XML and HTTP interfaces, like

http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/gut.py/go

> ...although it does this using XML over an HTTP socket.  One
> thing about Solr and probably anything else like this: if you want to
> handle a high query load with big result sets, you absolutely must
> have enough ram to cache your entire index. ...

Of course it would be nice to have everything in RAM, but
it is not absolutely necessary.  In fact you can get very good
performance with disk based indices, especially when the index
is "warm" and the most heavily hit disk buffers have been
cached in RAM by the file system.

As a test I built an index with 10's of millions of entries
using nucular and most queries through CGI processes clocked
in in 100's of milliseconds or better -- which is quite acceptable,
for many purposes.

> ...Since ram is expensive
> and most of it will be sitting there doing nothing during the
> execution of any query, it follows that you want multiple CPU's
> sharing the ram.  So we're back to the perennial topic of parallelism
> in Python...

...Which is not such a big problem if you rely on disk caching
to provide the RAM access and use multiple processes to access
the indices.

The global interpreter lock (GIL) can be kinda nice sometimes too.
When I built the big indices mentioned above it took a long
time.  If I had used a multithreaded build my workstation
would have been worthless during this time.
As it was I was using Python in
a single process, so the other CPU was happy to work with me
during the build, and I hardly noticed any performance
degradation.

In one java shop I worked in the web interface worked
ok (not great) provided it was only hit by one access at a time,
because the system was engineered so that one access
consumed all computational resources on the box.  Of course
if you hit it continually with 4 concurrent accesses the
system went to its knees and got tangled up in livelocks
and other messes.  In the case of web apps it can be
very nice to have one access handled by one process in one
thread leaving the other cpu's available to handle other
accesses or do other things.

imho, fwiw, ymmv, rsn, afaik.
   -- Aaron Watters

===
even in a perfect world
where everyone is equal
i'd still own the film rights
and be working on the sequel
   -- Elvis Costello "Every day I write the book"