The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

dan at telent.net dan at telent.net
Wed Oct 3 18:07:32 EDT 2007

George Neuner wrote:
> Symbolism over substance has become the mantra
> of the young.

"Symbolism: The practice of representing things by means of symbols or
of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events, or
relationships."

One might even suggest that all written language is based on the use of
words as symbols.

"Substance: (2)
    a. Essential nature; essence.
    b. Gist; heart."

"Mantra: A sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or
incantation, such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a
syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical potentialities."

Perhaps the young people you're referring to are not the same young
people that I know, because I've never even heard of a religion whose
object of reverence is meta-level analysis of language.

Tell me, do you know what "hyperbole" means?

-dan "or 'rhetorical'"