gui toolkits: the real story? (Tkinter, PyGTK, etc.)

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 2 16:57:00 EDT 2007

bramble wrote:
> Maybe a better question is, how has Tk managed to keep beating up the
> newer, more modern, more featureful, better documented toolkits
> encroaching on his territory? What's Tk's secret weapon?

On the OS vendor level, it may not be beating Tkinter. OSX 10.4 comes
out of the box (no action by the user required to install it) with
python 2.3.5 + wx 2.5.3.1:

   mbi136-54 25% /usr/bin/python
   Python 2.3.5 (#1, Aug 19 2006, 21:31:42)
   py> import wx
   py> wx.__version__
   '2.5.3.1'
   py> ^D
   mbi136-54 27% uname -v
   Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007;
root:xnu-792.22.5~1/RELEASE_I386

Consider also that a similar setup with ubuntu is only an apt-get away.
And, if you know the proper incantations, is probably just as easy with
fedora.

Window$ of course...cousucksgh...Excuse me...doesn't get support for
anything like that from micr$oft, but I think its very easy with enthought.

So in some ways, Tkinter appears to be simply vestigial.

James