How to create a file on users XP desktop

drobinow at gmail.com drobinow at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:34:40 EDT 2007

On Oct 6, 11:31 pm, goldtech <goldt... at worldpost.com> wrote:
> Can anyone link me or explain the following:
>
> I open a file in a python script. I want the new file's location to be
> on the user's desktop in a Windows XP environment.  fileHandle = open
> (....., 'w' )  what I guess I'm looking for is an environmental
> variable that will usually be correct on most XP desktops and will
> work in the open statement. Or is there another way?
 This is really a Windows question, not a Python question. You should
have been able to figure it out yourself by examining existing
environment variables.
 Something like the code below should work for you if the standard
environment variables haven't been hosed.
import os
Filename = os.getenv("HOMEDRIVE") + os.getenv("HOMEPATH") + "\\Desktop
\MyNewFile"
f = file(Filename, "w")
f.write("Here's a file on the desktop\n")
f.close()