s.split() on multiple separators

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Tue Oct 2 03:43:28 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-01, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:16:30 -0300, <mrkafk at gmail.com> escribi?:
>
>>> From my POV, if I want sequence from here to there, it should include
>> both here and there.
>>
>> I do understand the consequences of making high bound exclusive, which
>> is more elegant code: xrange(len(c)). But it does seem a bit
>> illogical...
>
> See this note from E.W.Dijkstra in 1982 where he says that the Python
> convention is the best choice.
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD08xx/EWD831.html

It may be convincing if you only consider natural numbers in ascending
order. Suppose you have the sequence a .. b and you want the reverse.
If you work with included bounds the reverse is just b .. a. If you use
the python convention, things become more complicated.

Another problem is if you are working with floats. Suppose you have a
set of floats. Now you want the subset of numbers that are between a and
b included. If you want to follow the convention that means you have to
find the smallest float that is bigger than b, not a trivial task.

--
Antoon Pardon