python project ideas

Hyuga hyugaricdeau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:14:02 EDT 2007

On Oct 25, 12:09 am, "menk... at gmail.com" <menk... at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi to everyone
> I wondered if this might be the right place to ask for some ideas for
> python project for university.
> I'd like it to be something useful and web-based. And the project must
> be complete in 2-3 months by 2-3 person group.
> May be something useful for open source or python community ...
> Well, just post what you think could be appropriate ...

Write a good, clean web-based music library/jukebox.  This is
something I've been thinking of doing for a while, but I welcome
someone to beat me to the punch.  There are a few such things out
there already--the most active is probably Jinzora, but I find it to
be bloated and slow, with a horribly cluttered interface.  And I think
there are some other projects out there, but most of them are
abandoned.  A simple, attractive interface would be good, with a built-
in flash player, and UTF-8 support throughout.

(and though this is a relatively minor detail, for god's sake if a
file has both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, use the ID3v2 tags by default.
Jinzora doesn't didn't do this last I tried and it was quite
obnoxious).