Method needed for skipping lines

Gustaf gustafl at algonet.se
Wed Oct 31 13:02:26 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Just for fun, I'm working on a script to count the number of lines in source files. Some lines are auto-generated (by the IDE) and shouldn't be counted. The auto-generated part of files start with "Begin VB.Form" and end with "End" (first thing on the line). The "End" keyword may appear inside the auto-generated part, but not at the beginning of the line.

I imagine having a flag variable to tell whether you're inside the auto-generated part, but I wasn't able to figure out exactly how. Here's the function, without the ability to skip auto-generated code:

# Count the lines of source code in the file
def count_lines(f):
  file = open(f, 'r')
  rows = 0
  for line in file:
    rows = rows + 1
  return rows

How would you modify this to exclude lines between "Begin VB.Form" and "End" as described above?

Gustaf