Newbie packages Q

Wildemar Wildenburger lasses_weil at klapptsowieso.net
Sun Oct 7 11:22:30 EDT 2007

MarkyMarc wrote:
> On Oct 7, 4:24 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
> 42.desthuilli... at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com> wrote:
>> MarkyMarc a écrit :
>> import is a statement. It's executed, like any other top-level code,
>> when the module is imported (or the script loaded into the interpreter
>> if it's called directly). So if A.py imports B.py and B.py imports A.py,
>> you do have a circular reference that can't be solved.
>>
>> Anyway, circular dependencies are Bad(tm), so you *don't* want such a
>> situation.
>
> Yes it is bad and I would not do it in production. But shouldn't I be
> able to call one module from another module inside a package?

Thats not the point. Intra-package references are (of course) perfectly
possible, the problem here are *circular* references (as Bruno explained).

Secondly, if you have such circular dependencies, I would argue that
your package design might need a little reconsideration. Why do 2
seperate modules need *each other*? To me that sounds like 2 modules
begging to be combined.

/W