Program inefficiency?

Dimiter "malkia" Stanev malkia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:22:41 EDT 2007

Sorry for intruding here,

But one inefficiency of the Windows XP (not NTFS in general) is that
NTFS must generate 8.3 names (for old-DOS/Win31/Win95/Win98/WinME
compatibility).

Generating such a name could slow down the system, as the name must be
unique, and finding such unique name would be slow.

Off course this should only affect the CREATION, not the SEARCH
(although with 8.3 support enabled you might end up with x2 times more
entries (if all your names are bigger than 8.3)).

Here's more:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/02/08/NTFS_Hacks.html

Thanks,
Dimiter "malkia" Stanev.