Problems with struct.pack()

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 23:19:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I apologize about my lack of details, I was in a
hurry when I wrote the initial question. I'll provide more details.

Basically, I'm attempting to write out unicode strings (16 bits per
character) to a file. Before each string, I write out 4 bytes containing the
number of characters (NOT BYTES) the string contains. I suppose the
confusion comes in because I'm writing out both text information AND binary
data at the same time. I suppose the consistent thing to do would be to
write out the strings as binary instead of as text? I'm originally a C++
programmer and I'm still learning Python, so figuring out this problem is a
little difficult for me.

In my initial inquiry, I was writing out 5000 as an example, however this
number would realistically be the number of characters in the string: len(
u"Hello World" ). Once I write out these 4 bytes, I then write out the
string "Hello World" immediately after the 4 bytes. You may be wondering why
the crazy file format. The reason is because this python script is writing
out data that will later be read in by a C++ application.

The following works fine for ASCII strings:

mystring = "Hello World"
file = open( "somefile.txt", "wb" )
file.write( struct.pack ( "I", len(mystring) ) )
file.write( mystring )

Again I do apologize for the lack of detail. If I've still been unclear
please don't hesitate to ask for more details.