_tkinter installation in python 2.5 on mandriva with a default 2.4

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 30 18:36:21 EDT 2007

> Should I need to download a later version of tkinter and/or should I
> alter setup.py in my python install directory and then remake?

Neither, nor. You need the Tk header files installed; they probably
come in a package called libtk8.4-dev or some such in your system.
If they are present when setup.py runs, _tkinter will get built
automatically. If you don't have the header files of Tk installed,
no amount of fiddling with setup.py, or getting alternative sources
of tkinter, will actually get you a _tkinter module.

HTH,
Martin