A Python 3000 Question

Wed Oct 31 18:29:13 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:59:58 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

> Python considers len to be an operator for all intents and purposes.
> Python chose to spell this operator like a regular function, but it
> could easily have given a special syntax to the length operation (for
> instance, $#x).

I hope you're not serious that $# would make a good operator. Apart from
conflicting with the comment marker, it is u-g-l-y.

That's the problem with operators... all the good ones are taken.

> Do you think that, if the length operation had its own syntax, people
> would be saying "No, length shouldn't be an operator, it should be a
> method"?  I don't think so; length is a fundamental and ubiquitous
> operation and it wouldn't be unreasonable to give it its own syntax.

I think they would.

You seem to have missed the context of the thread. The Original Poster
was complaining that len() should be a method, because that is more
purely Object Oriented.

If len() were an operator, that too would be a compromise to the ideal of
"every function is an object method". I'm sure there are OO fan[atic]s
who dislike operators too.

--
Steven.