Iteration for Factorials

Mensanator at aol.com Mensanator at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 01:13:41 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/22/2007 8:46:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
python.list at tim.thechases.com writes:

> > Still, why do you want None instead of raisng an exception
> > (as is the case in other factorial implementations)?
>
> A null value is as good/bad as raising an exception in my book.
> Since you can't do math on a None object, any attempt to do so
> will raise an exception:
>
>   >>> 42 + fact(-1)

Fair enough.

> I generally prefer my functions to return semi-sensible results
> (in this case, None makes sense to me, as there isn't really a
> definition of "negative-one factorial").  It also fits in my head
> alongside my SQL where NULL values/expressions can be returned
> and evaluated without the whole query falling over.

Ok, but in SQL, 42 + fact(-1) wouldn't raise an exception, it
would simply return a NULL if fact(-1) returned None. I suppose
the only reason to not use None is for consistent behavior. If all
the functions from the gmpy library raise exceptions on error, I
think I would want mine to do the same.