Twisted (or for loops ?) madness

looping kadeko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 03:46:09 EDT 2007

Hi,
Probably not the best group to post my question but I'm sure there is
some people here that use Twisted.
First here is the beginning of my source code:

from twisted.internet import reactor, defer, threads
import time

class CompilerThread(object):
    def __init__(self, task, delay):
        self.task = task
        self.delay = delay

    def _processing(self, delay):
        print 'Start :', self.task
        # Simulate delayed result, to fire immediately use
self.d.callback(self.task)
        time.sleep(delay)
        return self.task

    def compile(self):
        print 'Compile :', self.task
        print self
        # Create Deferred in another thread and add callback
        self.d = threads.deferToThread(self._processing,
self.delay).addCallback(self.print_result)
        # Return the deferred, this way you could add callback later
        return self.d

    def print_result(self, result):
        # Print result
        print 'Compiler result :', result, self.task
        # MUST return result otherwise next callback receive None
        return result

# Create Compiler objects
ct1 = CompilerThread('*OBJECT 1*', 2)
ct2 = CompilerThread('*OBJECT 2*', 3)
ct3 = CompilerThread('*OBJECT 3*', 5)

# Use succeed to create a deferred already fired
d = defer.succeed(None)

Now my problem:
With this code everything work fine:

d.addCallback(lambda result: ct1.compile())
d.addCallback(lambda result: ct2.compile())
d.addCallback(lambda result: ct3.compile())

reactor.callLater(20, reactor.stop)
reactor.run()

Output:

Compile : *OBJECT 1*
<__main__.CompilerThread object at 0x00BAD070>
Start : *OBJECT 1*
Compiler result : *OBJECT 1* *OBJECT 1*
Compile : *OBJECT 2*
<__main__.CompilerThread object at 0x00BAD050>
Start : *OBJECT 2*
Compiler result : *OBJECT 2* *OBJECT 2*
Compile : *OBJECT 3*
<__main__.CompilerThread object at 0x00CDA4B0>
Start : *OBJECT 3*
Compiler result : *OBJECT 3* *OBJECT 3*

But when I try to replace this code with a for loops, something goes
wrong:

l = [ct1, ct2, ct3]
for c in l:
    d.addCallback(lambda result: c.compile())

reactor.callLater(20, reactor.stop)
reactor.run()

Output:

Compile : *OBJECT 1*
<__main__.CompilerThread object at 0x00BAD030>
Start : *OBJECT 1*
Compiler result : *OBJECT 1* *OBJECT 1*
Compile : *OBJECT 3*
<__main__.CompilerThread object at 0x00CD9470>
Start : *OBJECT 3*
Compiler result : *OBJECT 3* *OBJECT 3*
Compile : *OBJECT 3*
<__main__.CompilerThread object at 0x00CD9470>
Start : *OBJECT 3*
Compiler result : *OBJECT 3* *OBJECT 3*

OBJECT 3 run 2 times and OBJECT 2 never ?!?

Any idea ? Maybe something related to Threads ?
Thanks for your help.