ACM SIGAPL / APL2007 Conference / Montreal / one week away

Gosi gosinn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 04:22:29 EDT 2007

On Oct 20, 10:46 pm, rbe <berne... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 15, 5:22 am, Mike Kent <mk... at acm.org> wrote:
>
> > Conference page
> >         // with links to program details //
> >                 (updated Friday 10/12)
>
> >        http://www.sigapl.org/apl2007.html...
>
> At APL2007, I'll be announcing the release of the APEX APL compiler,
> version 0.0.0, under GPL Version 2.
> If you can't wait until then, you can download it for Dyalog Linux atwww.snakeisland.com.
>
> Bob

Congratulations on your compiler.

I looked through your pages and came across this

"[This article originally appeared in the ACM SIGAPL Quote Quad, vol.
21, no.1, September 1990.]

The APL character set has contributed, more than any other facet of
the language, to its lack of acceptance in the computing community at
large. The character set is a metaproblem -- not a problem in and of
itself, but a creator of other recurring problems of hardware,
software, ergonomics, and psychology. The adoption of new, ASCII-base
dialects of APL, such as J, is suggested as one solution to the
character set problem. "

This is also the reason for why I will not be downloading your new
compiler until there will be a J version of it, something I hope will
be coming soon.

I can not use the APL character set at all.
It is too mixed up with my national characters.