Observer implementation question ('Patterns in Python')

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 12 19:55:05 EDT 2007

Anders Dahnielson wrote:
> Sorry if this is a somewhat silly question...
>
> I'm using the Observer implementation found in 'Patterns in
> Python' [1] and find it really neat. But, I have not yet fully groked
> the new-style class, classic class and property differences involved.
> So can somebody please explain to me why this works (using a classic
> class):
>
>         class C:
>             TheEvent = Event()
>             def OnTheEvent(self):
>                 self.TheEvent(self, context)
>
>         instance = C()
>         instance.TheEvent += callback
>         instance.OnTheEvent()
>         instance.TheEvent -= callback
>
> While this do not (using new-style class):
>
>         class C(object):
>             TheEvent = Event()
>             def OnTheEvent(self):
>                 self.TheEvent(self, context)
>
>         instance = C()
>         instance.TheEvent += callback
>         instance.OnTheEvent()
>         instance.TheEvent -= callback
>
> Raising an AttributeError :
>
>         Traceback (most recent call last):
>           File "sig_test.py", line 7, in ?
>              instance.TheEvent += callback
>         AttributeError: can't set attribute
>
> So far I've figured out that it is the Event class (subclassing the
> built-in property type) that is the culprit, but not why. (See
> 'Patterns in Python' [1] for code listing of the Event class.)
>
> I would be grateful if some helpful soul could explain it.
>
> [1] http://www.suttoncourtenay.org.uk/duncan/accu/pythonpatterns.html#observer

This is because the object derived class C is behaving properly with
respect to its property attributes. __iadd__() is supposed to set the
attribute, but no setter is called because the property (an Event())
does not have a setter defined. The most straightforward fix would not
be to define a setter in construction of Event instances, but would
rather to come up with some other way than __iadd__ to specify changing
the state of the delegates:

    # was __iadd__()
    def append(self, callback):
         self.__delegates = [ cb
             for cb in self.__delegates
                 if getattr(cb, 'im_self', None) != callback]
         # If callback is callable, remove the last
         # matching callback
         if callable(callback):
             for i in range(len(self.__delegates)-1, -1, -1):
                 if self.__delegates[i] == callback:
                     del self.__delegates[i]
                     break

  [...]

    d.append(function)

The use of __iadd__ & __isub__ as described in the article allows a neat
shorthand, but does not function correctly in the context of new style
classes.

James

--
James Stroud