Yet another comparison of Python Web Frameworks

johnbraduk john.bradbury at smartemail.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 18:43:21 EDT 2007

Thomas,
Like many others I have been going round the same loop for months.

I have struggled with most of the Python solutions, including
TurboGears and have given up and gone back to ColdFusion.  I am not
trying to kick of a religious war about the pros and cons of
ColdFusion as a scripting langauge, but IMHO, as a development
environment (Dreamweaver), it is unbeatable. In one product, "out of
the box" I can integrate database access and web design, including
AJAX, in one GUI IDE.  Ok, the IDE is on Windows, but the servers run
on Linux.

This seems to be an aspect of web design that has been totally
ignored in the Python community. Developers have been falling over
each other to come up with yet another web development framework
( about 15 at the last count!), but they are all a collection of bits
and pieces from all over the place.  Turbogears is attempting to pull
it all together, but that is like trying to hit a moving target.  As
soon as you get something working they move to a different level of
one of the components and it all falls apart.  For example, you might
try widgets and get them working with Kid Templates.  Then you read
that they want you to move to Genshi Templates and after wasting
hours, you find the small print and discover you need different
widgets to work with Genshi.  Some may think it is a strength of
Python to have so many options, but I think it is a weakness and
putting people off using Python for Web development, driving them to
products like PHP, Rails or ColdFusion.  When I develop a web
application, I don't want to have to decide whether to use mod-python,
Cherrypy, Django, Pylons... for my server.  Then I have to decide
whether to access my database with basic SQL or learn the quirky
options available with SQLObjects or SQLAlchemy, with or without,
Elixir.  Finally, I have to decide which of umpteen templating systems
to use and hope that it will work with the rest of the components.

Am I asking too much to have a Python product "X" which is a fully
self-contained web development framework?
John B