Script to Remove Attachments in Exchange Mailbox

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:03:25 EDT 2007

KDawg44 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am frustrated with my users who send large files around the office
> instead of using the network shares.

[...]

> Which means that there are 8 copies of the same file 4MB taking up
> space, or a 4MB file turned into a 32MB file."
>
> So, what I would like, is to write a script that parses the exchange
> mailbox, and removes all attachments over a certain size (say 500K)
> that are attached to messages that are more than 2 weeks old, or that
> are in sent items.  I would like to write to a log file all the
> changes that are made then email that log file to the mailbox that was
> just trimmed.

I have something v. similar, only it's at work and I'm not. Maybe tomorrow.
What it does -- I think, it's been a while -- is to rip through any
mailboxes finding attachments over a certain size, saving them to some
kind of folder structure on the user's home drive and replacing the
attachment by a link to the attachment. I have another script which,
independently, rips through users' home shares finding duplicates and
linking them to one copy.

It's a while since they were last run to they're probably quite
dusty but it sounds like the kind of thing you're after.

TJG