easy but difficult

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 16 08:27:47 EDT 2007

On Oct 16, 5:42 am, "Francesco Guerrieri" <f.guerri... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Beema shafreen <beema.shafr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > hi everybody,
> >   I have  a file  separated by hash:
> > as shown below,
> > file:
> > A#1
> > B#2
> > A#2
> > A#3
> > B#3
>
> > I need the result like this:
> > A 1#2#3
> > B 2#3
>
> > how will generate the result like this from the above file
> > can somebody tell me what i have to do......
> > My code:
> >           fh =open('abc_file','r')
> >           for line in fh.readlines():
> >                    data = line.strip().split('#')
> >                     for data[0] in line
> >                             print line
>
> > I tried but i donot know how to create 1#2#3 in a single line
> > regards
>
> This certainly seems to be a homework assignment :)
> You could try if dictionaries or their variants.
> There is an example very similar example to the task you are trying to
> solve in the documentation available online on the site
> docs.python.org
>
> francesco- Hide quoted text -

Even if it is homework, I think this is a good post:
- the OP posted his code that he had written so far
- the OP asked a specific question (how to write "1#2#3"), not just
"help! it wont work! fix it for me!"

To the OP:
If you can get your data into a list of values, ['1', '2', '3'], then
use the join method to join them together with a separator string:

print "#".join(['1', '2', '3'])

gives:

1#2#3

-- Paul