Duck Typing and **kwds

Luis Zarrabeitia kyrie at uh.cu
Thu Oct 11 00:05:10 EDT 2007

Hi there.

I just tried this test:

====
def f(**kwds):
    print kwds

import UserDict
d = UserDict.UserDict(hello="world")
f(**d)
====

And it fails with a TypeError exception ("f() argument after ** must be a
dictionary"). I find that weird, as UserDict should support all protocols that
dict supports, yet it doesn't seem to support ** unpacking. If instead of
UserDict I use a derivate class from dict (class mydict(dict):pass), the **
operator works as expected. It also works if I execute f(**dict(d)) instead.

Is that behavior expected? Is there any reason (performance, perhaps?) to break
duck-typing in this situation?

Regards,

--
Luis Zarrabeitia
Facultad de Matemática y Computación, UH

--
"Al mundo nuevo corresponde la Universidad nueva"
UNIVERSIDAD DE LA HABANA