pytz has so many timezones!

Travis Jensen travis.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:25:08 EDT 2007

How about a calendar entry: I've got six people in places all over the world
to get on the phone together.  If the app doesn't know their notion of a
time zone, that will never happen.

How about financial transactions: time-stamping transactions that move
around the world seems pretty useful to me.  How do I know when said
transaction started if I can't convert the user's time into the server's
time?

Timezone is just another localization setting.  It is no different than
language or keyboard layout.  It is a piece of data that describes the
"world" the user lives in.  Unfortunately, DST makes them very complex
because DST is determined by the country and can change from year to year.
I think the US' DST change this year had more of a real-world impact than
Y2K (of course, people actually planned for Y2K, but that is a different
story :).

tj

On 10/8/07, J. Clifford Dyer <jcd at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 01:13:24PM -0700, mensanator at aol.com wrote
> regarding Re: pytz has so many timezones!:

> > > But they could have different rules for Daylight Saving Time.
> >
> > Which only matters if you're setting your clock.
> >

> Maybe this is where I'm not understanding you:  Do you have another use
> for setting a timezone?  The only thing a time zone does, as far as I can
> tell, is set clocks relative to a shared conception of time.
>

> --

Travis Jensen
travis.jensen at gmail.com
http://cmssphere.blogspot.com/
Software Maven * Philosopher-in-Training * Avenged Nerd