ANN: magnitude 0.9.1

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 16 03:50:55 EDT 2007

juan at juanreyero.com writes:

> I am happy to announce the first release of magnitude, a library for
> computing with physical quantities. It is released under the Apache
> v. 2 license.

Thanks for this module, it will be good to have a standard place for
these constants.

> Home page: http://juanreyero.com/magnitude/
>
> Feedback is appreciated.

Please don't ever recommend 'from foo import *' in end-user
documentation. It's generally a bad practice and should only be done
when the individual programmer understands the tradeoffs involved;
putting it in the documentation for a module is setting a poor
example.

When 'from foo import *' is used, I have to keep scanning back and
forth to see whether any given name that I don't recognise is defined
elsewhere in the code, or whether it's not mentioned anywhere and by
implication came in with the 'from foo import *'.

It is especially bad for someone attempting to learn how to use a
module from the examples. When attempting to read the documentation
for a module to understand what it provides, I want the namespace to
be explicit, so I can immediately see which things are part of the
module I'm trying to learn about, and which are not.

--
 \         "I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono |
  `\   album; no rhyme or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and |