Python Instructor Needed for GIS Symposium in April 2008

Eric.Foster at modot.mo.gov Eric.Foster at modot.mo.gov
Tue Oct 30 12:27:22 EDT 2007

I am involved with MAGIC  http://www.magicgis.org/   an organization to
encourage GIS development, sharing, cooperation, etc. and educate
practitioners in GIS.  We hold a symposium every two years in April (next
is April 2008) and provide speakers and workshops in relevant GIS
subjects. ESRI's ArcGIS software holds  the market majority and has
embrace Python language as a preferred scripting, customization language.
 One area we have trouble with for our symposium is  getting instructors
for Python workshops.   The symposium is in Kansas City on April 20-24,
2008 and the hands on computer based Python course would be held for 4
hours on Sunday April 20th in the afternoon for about 30 beginner and
intermediate programmers.   We would like some application to ArcGIS, but
just basic Python language instruction is also needed.  The instructors
and speakers as well as the planning committee are asked to volunteer to
keep the cost down to symposium attendees.    Would you be a good fit (or
know anyone) as an instructor for this Introduction to Python language
course?
The Symposium Steering Committee would like to get a commitment by Nov. 2,
2008 in order to publish a preliminary program.   Sorry for the short
notice, we thought we had an instructor but do not.   We need a short 1-2
paragraph summary or outline of the workshop by the Nov 2, 2008 date, but
will accept later considerations.   We are willing to help develop any
materials needed.
Contact me by phone or email if you have questions or would like to
volunteer.   Thanks.

Eric Foster, Senior Transportation Planner
MoDOT, 600 NE Colbern Rd. Lee's Summit, MO 64086
(816) 622-6330