[OT, definitively] Re: The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Oct 3 09:02:45 EDT 2007

J. Clifford Dyer a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 04:49:50PM +0200, Wildemar Wildenburger wrote
> regarding Re: The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and
> keybinding:
>
>> Steve Holden wrote:

<OT - now you're warned>

> [...]
(snip)

> Yeah, different book.  "In the beginning was the Word" is John's
> cosmology.  Written in Greek long after Genesis, and a couple decades
> after Jesus was executed.
>
> Also, I wouldn't so much say that "word" is a mistranslation.  Logos
> does indeed mean "word" in common usage, it just also carries along
> the baggage of reason, "logic" (for a loose definintion of which),
> rationality, and so forth.  So it's not so much inaccurate as
> inadequate.

FWIW, the canonical french translation uses 'verb' instead of 'word',
and AFAICT it's more appropriate (at least in French - my English is
mostly technical so I may miss some subtilities here) since it carries a
notion of action too.

Now another (and certainly far worse) mistranslation (for both John and
Genesis) is this awful 'in  the beginning was', when the less imperfect
translation from Hebrew (which John's text, while written in Greek, is
clearly referencing here) would be 'in the principle is'. See, nothing
historic here, it's *not* the 'beginnning' of something past, it's about
the present. Also, since Christ is clearly identified with the Verb by
John, saying 'in the principle is the verb' is also a way of identifying
God with the principle...

Hem... Sorry, I disgressed... Back to Python, now !-)
</OT>