"Standard" Full Text Search Engine

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Oct 26 14:42:06 EDT 2007

On 26 Okt, 19:33, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Ferret is basically a Lucene clone, originally written in Ruby but
> with the intensive parts later rewritten in C for speed since the Ruby
> version was too slow.  There was something similar done in Python
> (PyLucene, I think) that was also pretty slow.

You're thinking of Lupy, whose authors/supporters then seemed to
switch to Xapian:

http://www.divmod.org/projects/lupy

Meanwhile, PyLucene doesn't seem particularly slow to me. Provided you
can build the software (it requires gcj), it seems to work rapidly and
reliably - the only problem I've ever had was related to a threading
bug in Python 2.3 which was subsequently fixed by the Python core
developers.

Paul