Cross platform way of finding number of processors on a machine?

Lawrence Oluyede raims at dot.com
Sat Oct 6 10:04:37 EDT 2007

Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> From the experiments I've done with pprocess [1], pretending that a
> hyperthreading "virtual CPU" is as good as a real CPU (or CPU core)
> tends to be counter-productive: the performance benefits in moving
> from the utilisation of one to two "virtual CPUs" are virtually non-
> existent.

We came the same conclusion at work. One of my colleagues has a machine
with HyperThreading and he noticed no real performance increase with the
processing library altough on my machine (which is a dual Core 2 Duo)
the performance boost was definitely there :-)

The good side of this is hyperthreading with parallel processes is like
using a mono-CPU machine so we don't have to take into account it like
if it was an entirely different kind of architecture.

--
Lawrence, oluyede.org - neropercaso.it
"It is difficult to get a man to understand