building a linux executable

Prateek surekap at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 06:55:16 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to package my python program into a linux executable using
cx_freeze. The goal is that the user should require python on their
system.

I've managed to make the binaries on Fedora Core 6 and they run fine.
However, when I move to Ubuntu (tested on Ubuntu Server 7.04 and
xUbuntu Desktop 7.04), the program fails to run with the following
error:

ImportError: no module named _md5

_md5 being imported by the hashlib module because the import of
_hashlib.so failed.

When I try to import the _hashlib module manually, I see that it
cannot find libssl.so.6 (The _hashlib module in the standard python
installation which came with Ubuntu works just fine). If I manually
copy the libssl.so.6 file from FC6 (its really a symlink pointing to
libssl.so.0.9.8b) to Ubuntu and make the symlink in /lib, it works
fine (the next error is related to libcrypto, libxslt and libjpeg (i'm
also using libxml, libxsl and PIL in my application).

I've scoured the net and it seems that _hashlib.so is dynamically
linked to libssl which is not being "integrated" into the build by
cx_Freeze. Similarly, there are other files with the same problem.

Does anyone have any idea how to make cx_Freeze make a linux
executable which is portable across *nix distros?

Thanks in advance,
-Prateek Sureka