how to iterate over sequence and non-sequence ?

stef mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 06:21:57 EDT 2007

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:38:06 +0200, stef mientki wrote:
>

>> I don't have pointers, I've just names (at least I think). Let me
>> explain a little bit more,
>> I want to simulate / debug a user program, the user program might look
>> like this:
>>
>>    x = 5
>>    for i in xrange(10):
>>        x = x + 1
>>

> I thought you were writing a JAL interpreter:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAL_(compiler)

hi Steven, you're completely right,
in fact I want to some more: also taken hardware and physics into account.
You can see one of my first demo's here, to see what I mean:
   http://stef.mientki.googlepages.com/jalspy_demo_robot1a.html
and some more demos can be found over here:

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pic/jalspy/jalspy_animated_demos.html
In fact we already used the simulator a number of times in real
applications with great success,
but didn't release it yet, because you still need Python knowledge to
run it reliable.
> but the code above is Python.

Yes, right again ;-)
The simulator translates JAL into Python,
In the beginning I thought that was the easiest,
I'm not sure about that anymore at the moment,
but on the other hand that's just replacing one module.
> Python already has a debugger. Try this:
>
> import pdb
> help(pdb)

Yes, Paul also pointed me into that direction,
and to be honest, I expected there would be such a module,
but I never searched for it, because ....
If I see that I can cook dinner,
when I (very seldom) test the program  (I'm writing) in the debug mode,
(assuming the IDE uses the same pdb),
then this is far too slow :-(

I'll report back what my experiences are with pdb.

cheers,
Stef Mientki