test if email

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Oct 12 16:48:51 EDT 2007

On 2007-10-12, brad <byte8bits at gmail.com> wrote:
> Florian Lindner wrote:
>> Hello,
>> is there a function in the Python stdlib to test if a string is a valid
>> email address?
>
> Nope, most any string with an @ in it could be a valid email addy. Send
> a message to the addy, if it doesn't bounce, then it's valid.

Just because it doesn't bounce, that doesn't mean it's "valid".
Some servers don't bounce e-mail to invalid addresses, they
just drop them into the bit bucket in an effort to prevent
spammers from harvesting valid e-mail addresses using
dictionary attacks.

If you send an e-mail to an address and you get a response,
then it's valid.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! BARRY ... That was
                                  at               the most HEART-WARMING