Building Binary Packages

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:35:35 EDT 2007

I am trying to figure out how to build binaries for Python packages
and I've done it with MinGW. However, in my research, I've noticed
that some of the programmers out there think that you should use the
compiler that is used to compile the official Python distributions,
which appears to be Visual Studio 2003.

None of these programmers has really given their reasons for this
though. Does compiling with a different compiler introduce subtle
issues of some sort? If so, what are they (in general)? If you don't
use VS2003, what compiler do you use?

Here are the some links to what I've been reading:

http://boodebr.org/main/python/build-windows-extensions
http://www.z3lab.org/sections/blogs/philipp-weitershausen/2007_07_26_cheap-binary-windows
http://www.gooli.org/blog/building-m2crypto-on-windows/

Thank you for your time.