The Modernization of Emacs: terminology buffer and keybinding

George Neuner gneuner2/ at comcast.net
Thu Oct 4 01:33:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:07:32 +0100, dan at telent.net wrote:

>George Neuner wrote:
>> Symbolism over substance has become the mantra
>> of the young.
>
>"Symbolism: The practice of representing things by means of symbols or
>of attributing symbolic meanings or significance to objects, events, or
>relationships."
>
>One might even suggest that all written language is based on the use of
>words as symbols.
>
>"Substance: (2)
>    a. Essential nature; essence.
>    b. Gist; heart."
>
>"Mantra: A sacred verbal formula repeated in prayer, meditation, or
>incantation, such as an invocation of a god, a magic spell, or a
>syllable or portion of scripture containing mystical potentialities."
>
>Perhaps the young people you're referring to are not the same young
>people that I know, because I've never even heard of a religion whose
>object of reverence is meta-level analysis of language.

The Christian Bible says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word
was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1.  Theologians and
philosophers have been writing about it for quite a few centuries.

Or, how about politics?  Another example from the Judeo-Christian
Bible (that is, from the Old Testament), politicking was the sin that
resulted in Lucifer's fall from God's grace.
[Yeah, I know the official story is that Lucifer's sin was envy.
Trust me ... I was there.  God didn't have a clue until Lucifer went
and organized the rally to protest God's policy on human souls (back
then God trusted his angels and was not in the habit of reading their
minds).  He didn't find out that Lucifer was behind the protests until
after Michael's police units had put down the riots.  When it was all
over, God didn't care that Lucifer had been envious or prideful or
lustful ... He was simply pissed that Lucifer had protested His
policies.

Shortly after He outlawed beer in Heaven because many of the rioters
had been drunk.  Then He started a program of wire-tapping without
warrants to spy on innocent angels.  I was ready to leave when He
closed the pubs, the illegal wire-taps just clinched it.]

>Tell me, do you know what "hyperbole" means?

Yes I do.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address