Assertion for python scripts

matthias matthiasblankenhaus at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 17:07:42 EDT 2007

On Nov 2, 1:29 pm, "Bart." <uz... at o2.pl> wrote:
> Friday 02 of November 2007 20:53:12 matthias napisa (a):

> > > Use:
> > > python -O -mcompileall path
>
> > > That command will compile all of the files in the given path and
> > > produce .pyo files. If the .pyo file is present and up-to-date it will
> > > be used instead of the .py file.
>
> > > Alternatively you could do this:
>
> > > python -O -mpy_compile somefile.py
>
> > > which can be used to compile one file at a time.
>
> > > Many Python programs and modules include a compile step as part of
> > > their installation process. There is also a -OO option, which will
> > > strip doc-strings as well.
>
> > > Matt
>
> > Thanx for your reply , Matt !
>
> > However, I think I am missing something.
>
> > Here is my example prog, assert.py, with the executable bit set:
>
> > #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> > assert 1 > 1, "ASSERTTION !"
>
> > Running this:
>
> > # python ./assert.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "assert.py", line 3, in ?
> >     assert 1 > 1, "ASSERTTION !"
> > AssertionError: ASSERTTION !
>
> > leads to the expected result.
>
> > Now I do this as you've recommended:
>
> > # python -O -mpy_compile assert.py
>
> > This indeed creates a file with the name assert.pyo.  That must be the
> > optimized one.
>
> > Now I try this:
>
> > # ./assert.py
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./assert.py", line 3, in ?
> >     assert 1 > 1, "ASSERTTION !"
> > AssertionError: ASSERTTION !
>
> > Ok, so it still uses the unoptimized version.
>
> > Now I try this:
>
> > # chmod 755 assert.pyo
> > # ./assert.pyo
> > bash: ./assert.pyo: cannot execute binary file
>
> > Here is my problem: I want to have an optimized executable version of
> > assert.py.
>
> > I am assuming that I am thinking in an unconventional way wrt Python.
> > If so, then
> > how do you start your optimized python scripts ?
>
> > Thanx,
> > Matthias
>
> check this:
>
> python ./assert.pyo

Yes, I know that this works.  Thanx.  However, that's not what I was
going for.

Essentially, I am targeting a build system that allows me to build
debug / release versions
of my Python code.  I know how to build the Python code, but how do I
package it so that I
can simply dump it on the test system with either build type and the
same calling interface ?

Thanx,
Matthias