Using python as primary language

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Nov 13 19:07:54 EST 2007

Russell E. Owen schrieb:
> In article <1194508354.226023.232050 at v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>  Michel Albert <exhuma at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In our company we are looking for one language to be used as default
>> language. So far Python looks like a good choice (slacking behind
>> Java). A few requirements that the language should be able cope with
>> are:
>>
>> * Database access to Sybase.
>>   This seems to be available for python, but the windows-binaries for
>> the library
>>   are not available. Self-Compiling them proved to be non-trivial (As
>> always
>>   on windows).
>> * Easy GUI creation.
>>   Solved using PyQt.
>> * Cross Platform (Linux + Windows).
>>   Again, PyQt, solves this
>> * Easy deployment.
>>   Solved using py2exe + innosetup
>
> How do you deploy python on linux? The only solution I know of is
> pyinstaller and I never could get it to work for me on linux (I never
> bothered to try on Windows since I already had py2exe doing what I
> needed).

Having a running python interpreter under linux is the same effort as
getting a JRE running. Actually due to licensing problems, python
usually just ships whereas java has to be explicitly installed.

 From there, deploying using setuptools is easy enough IMHO.

> In my opinion this is one of Python's few weaknesses compared to Java.
> Others that come to mind are:
> - Lack of a built-in networking library that works with GUI toolkits
> (use Twisted Framework and hope it continues to be supported)
> - Lack of a good built-in GUI toolkit (but there are several good
> alternatives including Qt)

I'm not sure if you mean both above "compared to Java" - but I won't
call Swing/AWT "good" - eclipse doesn't come with SWT for nothing. And I
simply don't understand the networking that works with GUI toolkits. I'm
aware of some eventloop-unifications twisted does, but I never really
understood the need for that - multi-threading is a problem for GUIs,
not for networking. And queues are your friend.

Diez