Low-overhead GUI toolkit for Linux w/o X11?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Nov 3 15:45:54 EDT 2007

I'm looking for GUI toolkits that work with directly with the
Linux frambuffer (no X11).  It's an embedded device with
limited resources, and getting X out of the picture would be a
big plus.

The toolkit needs to be free and open-source.

So far, I've found two options that will work without X11:

 1) QTopia (nee QT/Embedded).  I assume that I can probably get
    PyQT to work with the embedded version of QT?

 2) PySDL or PyGame. I'm not really sure what the differences
    are between those two.  The latter seems to be a little
    more active.  Are there any traditional GUI "widgets"
    available for these two?

I've heard good things about PyFLTK, but it appears to depend
on X11 on the Linux platform.

Google found me this thread from a few years ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/f173b27cb6ac84ce/da101ac750380057?lnk=st

Which mentions the same two choices and confirms that PyQt at
worked at one time with Qt/E (which would lead one to believe
it could be made to work with QTopia).

That thread also mentions Pico-GUI and Nano-X.  Has anybody had
any experience using those with Python?  Both of those seem to
have stalled.  Neither has released anything since 2003.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I
                                  at               feel... JUGULAR...