Creating a cell 'by hand'

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 19:17:29 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 5:30 PM, Prepscius, Colin (IT)
<Colin.Prepscius at morganstanley.com> wrote:
> The last argument to new.function takes a closure, which is a tuple of
> cell objects.  Does anybody know how to create those cell objects 'by
> hand'?

Beyond copying them from an existing closure, you'll have to use the C
API to create the new cell objects:

>>> pc = ctypes.pythonapi.PyCell_New
>>> pc.restype = ctypes.py_object
>>> pc.argtypes = [ctypes.py_object]
>>> pc(100)
<cell at 0x01B8D970: int object at 0x00946044>
>>> import new
>>> def f():
...     x = 10
...     def g():
...         return x
...     return g
>>> f()
<function g at 0x01B8CF30>
>>> g = _
>>> new.function(g.func_code, {}, "freeeeee as a bird", None, (pc(100),))
<function freeeeee as a bird at 0x01B941F0>
>>> _()
100
>>> g()
10

I don't really know how safe this is or what sort of refcount or GC
implications creating cell objects on the fly like this might have.