It works! Was: Installing Python 3000 on Leopard (Mac OS) fails...

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 07:20:47 EST 2007

On Nov 26, 9:59 pm, "André" <andre.robe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I made some progress in trying to install Py3k from source (for
> the first time), it has failed...
>
> Here are the steps I went through (not necessarily in that order -
> except for those that matter).
>
> 1. After installing Leopard, install Xcode tools from the dvd - even
> if you had done so with a previous version (they need to be updated -
> trust me :-)
>
> 2. Download Python 3.0a1
>
> 3.  Unpack the archive.
>
> 4. Go to  /usr/local and make a directory "sudo mkdir py3k"   (This is
> probably not needed, but that's what I did).
>
> 5. From the directory where the Python 3.0a1 was unpacked run
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/py3k
>
> 6. run "make"
>
> This last step failed with the following error message:
>
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-
> madd -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -I./Include   -
> DPy_BUILD_CORE  -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o Modules/posixmodule.o
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c: In function 'posix_setpgrp':
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:3769: error: too few arguments to function
> 'setpgrp'
> make: *** [Modules/posixmodule.o] Error 1
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> André

Following Martin v Löwis's suggestion, I looked at

 http://bugs.python.org/issue1358

and added the line
#define	SETPGRP_HAVE_ARG
by hand to pyconfig.h  (after it was created by configure).  Then
6. run  "make"
7. run "make test"  (one test failed; this step likely unnecessary)
8. sudo make altinstall
9. sudo ln /usr/local/bin/py3k/python3.0 /usr/bin/python3.0

10. type "python"
11. print("Hello world!")
12. Be happy!

André, hoping this report might help some other newbie.