pydoc - how to generate documentation for an entire package?

davisn90210 at gmail.com davisn90210 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 02:20:42 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 12:50 pm, Jens <j3n... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 Nov., 02:46, Jens <j3n... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a project/package for which I want to generate documentation
> > usingpydoc.
>
> > My problem is that when I type "pydoc.py -w MyPackage" it only
> > generates documentation for the package - no modules, classes or
> > methods or sub-packages. Just a single HTML file called
> > "MyPackage.html"
>
> > That's strange - is there something here I'm missing. How do you
> > generate documentation for a whole package?
>
> No suggestions? All I can think of is to make a *.bat file on Windows
> to call pydoc.py for each of my modules. Seems like a silly solution.
>
> Also, when I have a module that imports from math (for example),
> pydoc.py generates a broken link to the math module. This just seems
> very silly.
>
> Generating documentation form code is a nice thing, but this pydoc.py
> is driving me insane - isn't there are better way?

pydoc -h

[...]

pydoc -w <name> ...
    Write out the HTML documentation for a module to a file in the
current
    directory.  If <name> contains a '/', it is treated as a filename;
if
    it names a directory, documentation is written for all the
contents.

Have you tried pydoc -w <directory-containing-package>?

--Nathan Davis